Chemex Brew Guide
This is the recipe recommended for brewing our coffee on a Chemex brewer.
Chemex 6-cup Brewer
Optional (but recommended) items:
How to brew a Chemex
1. Bring your water to a boil. If using a paper filter, place your folded paper filter in your Chemex, placing the side with three folds against the spout.
2. Rinse the filter, by pouring hot water into it. Make sure to evenly saturate the filter to wash out the papery taste, as well as pre-heating the vessel. Carefully pour the water out of the Chemex without removing the filter.
3. Place 35 grams (approximately 5 TBS) of medium-coarse ground coffee into your filter.
The coffee should be ground to the approximate size of kosher salt.
4. Start your timer. Pour a small amount of water (about 2-3x the weight of the amount of coffee being used – in this case ~70-100g) over the grounds making sure they are evenly saturated. Allow coffee to bloom (start to brew) for about 30 seconds
5. After the bloom period, starting from the center of the grounds, slowly and evenly cover the coffee bed, filling it to the top of the brewer. Allow coffee to brew down about 1 inch from top, then add more water, bringing liquid back up to high-water mark. Do this 2-3 times, or until you have finished adding 575 ml (approximately 2.5 cups) of water.
6. Allow all coffee to brew from filter. Total time should be within 3.5 - 4.5 minutes. Lift your filter from the Chemex and dispose of it in your composting bin.
7. Your coffee is now ready. Pour, enjoy, repeat!